Capacity Specialist Overview:
Capacity Specialists (CS) are the driving force behind finding and matching carrier availability to customer needs. CSs maximize Tucker’s capabilities to grow business by executing both existing and future customer orders. Toward that end, CSs shall develop strong relationships with known motor carriers as well as source and develop relationships with new carriers to ensure load coverage and high-quality service. CSs are responsible for hitting individual load count and spread goals and must plan for and achieve future growth, year over year. They will also be responsible for collaborating or helping to manage and support operational aspects of designated customer accounts. CSs must be team players, placing the highest level of importance on team success. This position is expected to help the Company meet all on-time performance goals. The individual is responsible for performing the job and duties as described below.
- Clearly understand internal instructions regarding a customer’s shipment requirements and handle complex shipments.
- Find and hire motor carriers, and other freight transportation providers, with capabilities to ensure shipment parameters and customer satisfaction are met or exceeded (a/k/a “Cover” loads)
- Efficiently leverage existing carrier relationships and on-board new carriers while securing solid commitments on tough new lanes and seizing new load/lane opportunities.
- Confidence in carrier selection process to ensure carrier has been fully briefed and properly vetted to be successful with a shipment or series of shipments.
- Develop meaningful relationships with carriers and operational understandings, helping match carrier preferred lanes with freight, and work with carriers as determined by the company.
- Continually source new carriers, developing the same relationships and understandings
- Continually collaborate with internal Tucker colleagues, teammates, and any other personnel necessary to help secure new business.
- Cover, track and trace all booked freight, support colleagues, and maintain excellent customer service for which Tucker is known.
- Manage customers independently and work closely with the Sales Team in the development of new opportunities.
Other Responsibilities Include:
- Support and help manage designated customers and be responsible for customer satisfaction
- Collaborate closely with Sales Representative (SR) and Account Management (AM) staff to perfectly understand customer needs, including Standards of Care and Standard Operating Procedures, in order to meet customer needs and demands as well as ensure the motor carriers know what they are getting.
- Cross-train to participate in ALL accounts, across all teams.
- Be aware of, review, know where to find, and work in accordance with, company policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate pricing proficiency, resourcefulness, and creativity, relating to:
- Pricing customer freight and estimating carrier freight costs.
- Negotiating pricing with carriers
- Supporting and educating SRs and AMs in pricing quotes, market dynamics, and negotiating with Customers
- Share in rotation of after-hours on-call duties.
- Meet billing speed and accuracy goals determined by company.
Skills, Education and Experience:
- College degree preferred
- Experience in truckload brokerage preferred
- Position requires demonstrated ability to communicate professionally and diplomatically in writing, over the phone and face to face; meet deadlines, work under pressure; learn quickly, think logically; multi-task; support colleagues; be responsive to internal and external customers; and make prudent decisions and recommendations.
- McLeod PowerBroker experience preferred but not required
- Intermediate skills in MS Office, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Experience with Power BI a plus