Are you smart, driven, curious, resourceful, and not afraid to fail? Then we want to meet you! FreightWaves delivers news and commentary, data, analytics, risk management tools, and actionable market insights to the industry. If you are ready to join our team, it is time for you to apply!
FreightWaves is looking for a Software Engineering Manager to join our fast paced engineering team. The ideal candidate has experience in various front end frameworks, storage models, and one or more backend programming languages.
A FreightWaves Software Engineering Manager is both a leader and a technical problem solver. They will be able to switch between managing highly competent employees and crafting code and data driven solutions.
What you will be doing:
- Supervising engineering deliverables.
- Translating business requirements into technical needs and actions
- Working with team leads to craft the engineering roadmap/efforts
- Collaborating with the entire software engineering team to define feature requirements and deliver the solution that materially impacts the business and improves customer experience
- Collaborating with the Product team to refine/understand business requirements
- Ensuring reporting responsibility for software engineers
- Evaluating, identifying and developing software solutions
- Contributing to Software Engineering efforts
- Reviewing code and effectively communicating feedback
- Mentoring software engineers
- Earning the respect of teammates by way of work ethic, quality of work, and mutual respect.
- Leading software engineers by example: relating well to other people and show a degree of competence in various software related disciplines
What you bring to the table:
- Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience (No college, no problem!)
- Minimum of 3 years software engineering experience or the ability to demonstrate high level competence in engineering activities
- Knowledge of at least one software language (C#, GoLang, Python, other)
- Experience with GIT, storage models, and notional Agile methodologies
- Proven ability to work well with others and have demonstrated leadership skills
- Hands on management style that views engineers as peers
- High level of attention to detail
- You value distributed knowledge over silos.
- An excellent work environment, flat hierarchies, and short decision paths.
- Competitive salary
- Work from home
- A generous benefits package including 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision and Life insurance, STD, LTD
- Concierge doctor on-call
- Stock options
- 401k with up to 3.5% match
- Training programs and career development opportunities
- Student-loan reimbursement
- Annual life achievement bonus of $2000 for having a baby, buying a house, or getting married (one per year)
- No set days off Vacation policy (our team takes time off as needed with supervisor approval)
- Gym Membership (or virtual membership)
- Audible or Kindle Unlimited subscription
- FreightWaves strives for sustainability. We offset our carbon emissions.
- Discount on Ford vehicles