Are you smart, driven, curious, resourceful, and not afraid to fail? Then we want to meet you! FreightWaves delivers news and commentary, data, analytics, risk management tools, and actionable market insights to the industry. If you are ready to join our team, it is time for you to apply!
FreightWaves is looking for a Software Engineer to join our fast paced engineering team. The ideal candidate has experience in various front end frameworks, storage models, and one or more backend programming languages.
A FreightWaves Software Engineer is both creative and a problem-solver. They develop and design software solutions as directed by the Lead(s) and Product.
What you will be doing:
- Evaluating, identifying and developing software solutions
- Writing self documenting code
- Automating manual processes to eliminate them
- Building small/medium projects with minimal supervision and oversight
- Earning the respect of teammates by way of work ethic, quality of work, and mutual respect.
- Collaborating with the entire software engineering team to understand feature requirements
- Developing high-quality software design and architecture, specifically HTTP APIs (e.g. REST, JSON and/or GraphQL)
- Engaging in the improvement of tooling and processes to increase the team’s ability to deliver value.
- Performing validation and verification testing
- Ensuring software is up-to-date with latest technologies
- Reviewing code and effectively communicating feedback
What you bring to the table:
- Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience (No college, no problem!)
- Minimum of 2 years software engineering experience or ability to demonstrate high level competence in engineering activities
- In-depth knowledge of at least one software language (C#, GoLang, Python, other)
- Cloud first/Cloud only thinking
- You value distributed knowledge over silos.
- Comfortable participating in meetings with other parts of the organization.
- Willingness to take complete ownership of the subtasks assigned to you.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Competence in at least one programming language. Exposure to at least 1 more.
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices
- Ability to write clean, efficient code that is self documenting and able to explain choices
- An excellent work environment, flat hierarchies, and short decision paths.
- Competitive salary
- Work from home
- A generous benefits package including 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision and Life insurance, STD, LTD
- Concierge doctor on-call
- Stock options
- 401k with up to 3.5% match
- Training programs and career development opportunities
- Student-loan reimbursement
- Annual life achievement bonus of $2000 for having a baby, buying a house, or getting married (one per year)
- No set days off Vacation policy (our team takes time off as needed with supervisor approval)
- Gym Membership (or virtual membership)
- Audible or Kindle Unlimited subscription
- FreightWaves strives for sustainability. We offset our carbon emissions.
- Discount on Ford vehicles