Are you smart, driven, curious, resourceful, and not afraid to fail? Then we want to meet you! FreightWaves delivers news and commentary, data, analytics, risk management tools, and actionable market insights to the industry. If you are ready to join our team, it is time for you to apply!
FreightWaves is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our fast paced engineering team. The ideal candidate has experience in various front end frameworks, storage models, and one or more backend programming languages.
A FreightWaves Senior Software Engineer is both creative and a problem-solver, responsible for leading the entire development program for a piece of software. They develop, design, and install software solutions, as well as build applications for users to complete certain tasks, and make the underlying system that runs software.
What you will be doing:
- Evaluating, identifying and developing software solutions
- Documenting our software suite
- Automating manual processes to eliminate them
- Leading software development features
- Creating and ensuring software stability with associated monitoring
- Building small/medium projects with minimal supervision and oversight
- Mentoring junior/standard software engineers
- Earning the respect of teammates by way of work ethic, quality of work, and mutual respect.
- Using a proactive approach to common challenges and by continually researching best practices in coding patterns and implementation
- Leading software engineers by example: relating well to other people and show a high degree of competence in various software related disciplines
- Collaborating with the entire software engineering team to define feature requirements and deliver the solution that materially impacts the business and improves customer experience
- Developing high-quality software design and architecture, specifically HTTP APIs (e.g. REST, JSON and/or GraphQL)
- Supporting operations with deployment, debugging production issues and tuning applications
- Engaging in the improvement of tooling and processes to increase the team’s ability to deliver value.
- Performing validation and verification testing
- Ensuring software is up-to-date with latest technologies
- Reviewing code and effectively communicate feedback
What you bring to the table:
- Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience (No college, no problem!)
- Minimum of 5 years software engineering experience, preferably as a Senior Software Engineer, or ability to demonstrate high level competence in engineering activities
- Extensive experience in software development, scripting
- In-depth knowledge of at least one software language (C#, GoLang, Python, other)
- Experience with a mixture of: GIT, SaaS, NoSQL (Mongo, elasticsearch, other), data modeling, object modeling, CI/CD pipelines, relation data stores (MySQL, SQL Server, Postgresql, other)
- Expertise in Full Stack development including storage models, mvc modeling, client side and server side scripting/engineering
- Cloud first/Cloud only thinking
- High level of attention to detail
- You value distributed knowledge over silos.
- An excellent work environment, flat hierarchies, and short decision paths.
- Competitive salary
- Work from home
- A generous benefits package including 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision and Life insurance, STD, LTD
- Concierge doctor on-call
- Stock options
- 401k with up to 3.5% match
- Training programs and career development opportunities
- Student-loan reimbursement
- Annual life achievement bonus of $2000 for having a baby, buying a house, or getting married (one per year)
- No set days off Vacation policy (our team takes time off as needed with supervisor approval)
- Gym Membership (or virtual membership)
- Audible or Kindle Unlimited subscription
- FreightWaves strives for sustainability. We offset our carbon emissions.
- Discount on Ford vehicles