Are you smart, driven, curious, resourceful, and not afraid to fail? Then we want to meet you! FreightWaves delivers news and commentary, data, analytics, risk management tools, and actionable market insights to the supply chain industry. If you are ready to join our team, it is time for you to apply!
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist to work on our SONAR product team. SONAR is a subscription-based SAAS that delivers thousands of datasets (e.g., market, rate, economic, fuel, regulatory, weather, etc) for various spatial and temporal granularities. In addition to data delivery, we are rapidly expanding the data-visualization and predictive components of SONAR. This position will involve using statistical and machine-learning models to drive insights and products based on unstructured data-sets that come from IOT and telematics data sources from around the world. Candidates must be comfortable handling massive datasets, working with spatially and temporally correlated variables, and keeping pace with the literature from the broader data-science community.
**This role is completely remote.
What you will be doing:
- Work with the data science and engineering teams to recognize promising data sources, gather raw data, and prepare the data for downstream processing.
- Work with the implementation team in calibrating and tuning the advanced analysis; gather business insights, and present the findings to the client and our editorial team.
- Candidate should take the complete ownership of the analytics initiative and work with client’s business executives; our editorial staff; data owners; and internal implementation team.
What you bring to the table:
- Candidates must be comfortable handling massive datasets, working with spatially and temporally correlated variables, and keeping pace with the literature from the broader data-science community
- At least 3 years of experience in data science / machine learning / statistical modeling or related subjects with a focus on innovation
- Masters or PhD Degree (or 5-7 years experience) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Economics, Engineering or a related field
- Experience using open source technologies such as R or Python. SQL proficiency is required
- Excellent quantitative analysis to take mixed data as an input and derive actionable recommendations as output
- Preferred experience with popular machine-learning libraries (e.g., scikit learn, tidymodels, etc)
- Preferred experience with building dashboards using shiny, dash, google data studio, power BI, etc.
- Excellent written and communication skills in English language
- Experience working with a lean product development process through rapid iteration
- Experience working closely with engineers, developers, and designers throughout the product development process
- Excellent presentation, oral, and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple products with complex feature sets
What we offer:
- An excellent work environment, flat hierarchies, and short decision paths.
- Competitive salary
- Work from home
- A generous benefits package including 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision and Life insurance, STD, LTD
- Concierge doctor on-call
- Stock options
- 401k with up to 3.5% match
- Training programs and career development opportunities
- Student-loan reimbursement
- Annual life achievement bonus of $2,000 for having a baby, buying a house, or getting married (one per year)
- No set days off Vacation policy (our team takes time off as needed with supervisor approval)
- Gym Membership reimbursement
- Audible or Kindle Unlimited subscription
- FreightWaves strives for sustainability. We offset our carbon emissions.
- Discount on Ford vehicles